This is the first of several posts detailing the different components of a XenApp (previously called Presentation Server) farm. I am going to make these short so that it is easy to read and remember.
Citrix Licensing Server
- FLEXLM licensing service that runs a Windows 2003 server with IIS installed. Same licensing service that VMware uses.
- Recommended that it is not on the XenApp server except for testing environments.
- License file model with files with .lic extensions.
- Administered from a web browser, a shortcut is placed off the Program, Citrix menu.
- The user that installed the service is the only user that can administer the licenses. Once logged into the management page additional users can be added.
- License files are tied to the hostname of the server and are generated/downloaded from mycitrix.com
- License files can be rehosted to a new hostname if you need to move it to a new server.
- If the license server is down the XenApp servers will function for 14 days without a connection to the license server. After that the servers will stop accepting connections.
- There is not a way to have more the one license server.
Link to Citrix support site on licensing server.