I did my first SAN Copy yesterday. Like anything else in IT once you know how to do something and you do it a couple times it becomes easy.
I am using SAN Copy to migrate LUNs from a CX300 to a CX3-20.
Here are the steps that I followed:
- Zoned SPA1 on CX300 to SPA1 on CX3-20
- Zoned SPB1 on CX300 to SPB1 on CX3-20
- In Navisphere update SAN Copy connections on both arrays
- Created a storage group called SAN Copy
- Created a Reserve LUN Pool – this is for doing incremental copies, if doing full copies this is not required.
- Added the RLP LUNs to the RLP Configuration in Navisphere
- Added target LUNs to the SAN Copy storage group
- On the SAN Copy storage group configured the SAN Copy connections between the arrays
- Created a SAN Copy session by right-clicking the source LUN on the CX300, SAN Copy, Create Session from LUN.
- Set the session type of either Full or Incremental. Full is a one time copy and the host has to be offline during the entire copy. Incremental is for when you have a small downtime window. Incrementals can run while the host is online.
- Set the destination LUN
- Set the Session Throttle
- To start the SAN Copy session go under SAN Copy Session in Navisphere, drill down under the SP where the LUN is located, right-click the session and click start
- Monitored the status by right-clicking on the session and going to status
- Once it was complete I ran a few more copies to get any changes
- Power off the host
- Ran one last copy
- Removed the SAN Copy session
- Removed the host from the storage group on the CX300
- Created a new storage group on the CX3-20
- Zoned the host with the CX320
- Added the host to the storage group
- Added the LUN to the storage group
- Powered on the host
- Verified drive access
Formula for calculating RLP LUN sizing
Total up all the LUNs (ie: 4 LUNs at 25gb apiece = 100gb)
Determine the change rate. 20% is a good number that covers most environments
Take 20% of the 100gb = 20gb
Take 20gb (or the # that comes out as 20% of the total space) – divide that by the number of LUNs (4): 20gb div by 4 = 5gb
Create 4 LUNs at 5gb apiece for RLP (for SPA)C
Create 4 LUNs at 5gb apiece for RLP (for SPB)