XenDesktop Getting Started – Rick Dehlinger from iQurious Corporation
Cool company name “iQurirous”
XenDesktop 2 was released in May at Citrix Synergy
ICA to the desktop, none of this double-hop ICA to CPS, RDP to XP BS.
Single instance storage for desktop images via Provisioning Server.
ICA Features Included
– UPD is included
– Session Policies
– SSL Encapsulation
ICA Features not Included
– Functionality that require services interaction
– Desktop Delivery Controllers run the IMA protocol, farm definition, desktop broker, once client is connected to XP the controller is out of the picture.
– Access Gateway is used for Internet access
– Can be used with XenServer, VMware and Hyper-V.
– Includes PVS for image management
– Positioning XenApp as delivery of applications into the VDI image via streaming or published app
– Express – Free for 10 CCU – Includes Desktop Delivery Controller and XenServer Standard
— Works with CSG but advertised as not working with SSL tunneling via Access Gateway
– Standard – unlimited CCUs
—Supports ICA/SSL encryption with AG Standard 2010 appliances only or CSG
—$75 per CCU
– Advanced – unlimited CCUs
— Includes Provisioning Server
— $195 per CCU
— Adds Publishing for XenApp
— $295 per CCU
— Full universal VPN license
— Edgesight for end points
— $395 per CCU
— One GoToAssist agent per 200 CCU
1. Setup hardware and hypervisor
2. Setup PVS
3. XenDesktop Setup Wizard for provisioning VMs in XenServer and PVS including AD computer accounts.
4. Setup Desktop Delivery Controllers
5. Publish desktop delivery groups